Urgent Security Update Regarding Your Bitly Account
UPDATE #4 - MAY 11 at 11:33AM EDT: We are sending an email to all users from the domain bitlysupport.com outlining the steps to secure your account. If you have already followed the steps to secure your account, you do not need to do so again.
UPDATE #3 - MAY 9 at 2:45PM EDT: We have updated this post to address questions regarding the Bitly iPhone app.
UPDATE #2 - MAY 9 at 10:30AM EDT: We have updated this post to explain what specifically was compromised and we’re encouraging all of our users to secure their Bitly accounts by following the recommendations listed below.
UPDATE #1 - MAY 8 at 8:32PM EDT: We have updated the section of this post regarding users who have Twitter or Facebook accounts connected to their Bitly accounts.
We have reason to believe that Bitly account credentials have been compromised; specifically, users’ email addresses, encrypted passwords, API keys and OAuth tokens. We have no indication at this time that any accounts have been accessed without permission. We have taken steps to ensure the security of all accounts, including disconnecting all users’ Facebook and Twitter accounts. All users can safely reconnect these accounts at their next login.
We are recommending all Bitly users make these changes. Please take the following steps to secure your account: change your API key and OAuth token, reset your password, and reconnect your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
We invalidated all credentials within Facebook and Twitter. Although users may see their Facebook and Twitter accounts connected to their Bitly account, it is not possible to publish to these accounts until users reconnect their Facebook and Twitter profiles.
Following are step-by-step instructions to reset your API key and OAuth token:
1) Log in to your account and click on ‘Your Settings,’ then the ‘Advanced’ tab.
2) At the bottom of the ‘Advanced’ tab, select ‘Reset’ next to ‘Legacy API key.’
3) Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
4) Go to the ‘Profile’ tab and reset your password.
5) Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the ‘Connected Accounts’ tab in ‘Your Settings.’
We have already taken proactive measures to secure all paths that led to the compromise and ensure the security of all user data going forward.
If you’re experiencing any trouble with the Bitly iPhone app, please update to the latest version found here. We have expedited an update to address any issues.
If you have account-specific questions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your security and trust in us seriously. The team has been working hard to ensure all accounts are secure. We apologize for any inconvenience and we will continue to update our Twitter feed, @Bitly, as we have any further updates.
- matawanita likes this
- ugodit likes this
- iuuew likes this
- freshdjmaza likes this
- erickrp likes this
- sir-robert-mengzies likes this
- 8a5t1an likes this
- gayosiris-haus-o-ass reblogged this from bitly
- gayosiris-haus-o-ass likes this
- lilysunshinegirl likes this
- sourceable-net likes this
- crazedwarvet reblogged this from bitly
- vivieleo likes this
- roomrag reblogged this from bitly
- roomrag likes this
- mindocr likes this
- abbydonkrafts reblogged this from bitly
- heartlight2 likes this
- tobywhite reblogged this from bitly
- italiashoutout reblogged this from bitly
- patddfan88 likes this
- douglaswelch reblogged this from bitly
- abramov-a-m likes this
- jeffcarroll likes this
- jeffcarroll reblogged this from bitly
- rjbailey reblogged this from bitly
- playbebestar likes this
- atcloud reblogged this from bitly and added:
- nateconklin likes this
- cve4me likes this
- alebuff likes this
- danielooi reblogged this from bitly and added:
- joeyaliziojr likes this
- franxana reblogged this from bitly
- franxana likes this
- rjbailey likes this
- globalvoices likes this
- jacktfrost likes this
- emilindricau likes this
- eclectrics likes this
- kristathomas reblogged this from bitly
- penina reblogged this from bitly
- thebsap likes this
- kdnewman reblogged this from bitly
- lionelgeek reblogged this from bitly
- chrisgoulet likes this
- stuckinthewrongyear likes this